7.4K views

In September 2011 I called retro to cancel membership.The membership was a gift to my son to use for 1 yr.

He hadn't used gym in over 6 months. I called to cancel and was told i had to send a letter. Well i thought I'd stop in to cancel in person. NOPE!

they were having none of that! They insisted it was in the 'agreement' that I send a letter. OK. I sent a letter and the woman behind the counter assured me she would accept the letter even if it wasn't registered because it was in the 'agreement' that it had to be a registered letter.

She must have cited the words "it is in the agreement" 6 times. At this point I could see where they were going with cancellations.

I send the letter and I'm still getting harassing calls from ABC Financial (who by the way has numerous complaints lodged against them for unscrupulous tactics). Today I call Retro and explain that I am still getting calls from ABC and I was told i still owed money for the month of Sept as well as Oct and Nov that I must pay in order to make ABC stop with the calls.

I'm stunned. Retro quickly cited "it's in the agreement" BS.

They want 60 days notice to cancel. Who knows 60 days in advance that they may have to cancel membership due to any number of reasons? The manager at Retro said to me she would waive 1 month.

BIG DEAL!

Beware Retro Fitness.They are scammers

Had an Experience with Retro Fitness?

Comments

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa #1201199

This company deserves zero stars.I authorized the them to take automated monthly payments from my account.

However a year later when I had a death in the family, lost my job and needed to move I informed them of my circumstance. They said I needed to come in person to the office to speak with the manager. I made an appointment and came in. I was told they would adjust my payment briefly and then gave me the run around about sending in a certified letter to them so they could review it and decide whether or not I could cancel my membership.

When I called headquarters they said they could not cancel over the phone that I had to contact the gym. They eventually sold my case to a bill collector and reported my my bill to the credit Bureau. Please stay far away from this business, it is shady and not worth it. I have warned everyone that I could about them.

They have lost a customer for life and have horrible customer service.I have contacted the BBB to hopefully bring to light their fraudulent, and unethical practices.

this gym is terrible they make it impossible to quit.

It's sad but all gyms are the same.I had this issue with a different gym, they continued to charge my credit card after I cancelled my account so I urge you all to TRY THIS: dispute the charge on your credit card!!

I disputed and added all the info they asked for, like that I had sent a certified letter, and the charge ended up being dropped.

Your credit card company gives them a certain amount of days to defend their charge and luckily most places don't do it or don't realize they can and you win.Since you have the certified letter on your side, it's hard for them to rationalize more charges

to Dis***d66 #861569

What do they refer to as a "certified letter"?

The worst gym ever.

Matawan, New Jersey, United States #794785

I'm having an issue.I went to the location of my gym after my year was up, and said I do not want to renew my membership and that I don't want automatic renewal either and they told me to write a letter.

I can't afford this and it's written in fine print that you have to send in a letter 60 days in advance.This is a trap and it needs to be reported.

ABC Financial Services, Inc.

PO Box 6800

Sherwood, AR 72124

Fax number: 1-501-992-0802

Email address: customercare@abcfinancial.com

1-888-827-9262 ABC Financial Services, Inc.

is the party responsible for this BS policy.Never use any gym that is serviced by them including the chains Retro Fitness and Gold's Gym.

Retro Fitness is a rip off.They were charging me $20.89 a month.Then I noticed that they were charging me $40.39 a month.When I called Retro the additional charge was a late fee because mycredit card wasn't excepting the charges on the 3rd of each month.

Bull *** the credit card company blamed Retro for posting the payment after the 3rd. I called to cancel my membership they said they could only do it if I had a letter from my doctor.Plus I have to pay 2 months upfront before cancellation. That's rediculous, I was also recently charged an additional $41.79 for an annual fee. During their grand opening they had waved the fee for any news members that join.

I plan to dig up my contract and fight them,this is false advertisement.

I also plan to make acomplaint at the better business burea.THERE CROOKS.

Wilmington, Delaware, United States #693848

After canceling the membership with 1 month left to pay we got charged a renewal fee plus a card declined fee of $19.50 even though we will not being renewing for the year. STAY AWAY from these rip off people. The manager in Wilmington, De would not waive a fee.

North Brunswick, New Jersey, United States #690792

Has anyone here filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission? I just started looking into canceling my membership today.