Retro Fitness difficult/impossible to cancel

Oct 06, 2011
review #266367

In September 2011 I called retro to cancel membership.The membership was a gift to my son to use for 1 yr.

He hadn't used gym in over 6 months. I called to cancel and was told i had to send a letter. Well i thought I'd stop in to cancel in person. NOPE!

they were having none of that! They insisted it was in the 'agreement' that I send a letter. OK. I sent a letter and the woman behind the counter assured me she would accept the letter even if it wasn't registered because it was in the 'agreement' that it had to be a registered letter.

She must have cited the words "it is in the agreement" 6 times. At this point I could see where they were going with cancellations.

I send the letter and I'm still getting harassing calls from ABC Financial (who by the way has numerous complaints lodged against them for unscrupulous tactics). Today I call Retro and explain that I am still getting calls from ABC and I was told i still owed money for the month of Sept as well as Oct and Nov that I must pay in order to make ABC stop with the calls.

I'm stunned. Retro quickly cited "it's in the agreement" BS.

They want 60 days notice to cancel. Who knows 60 days in advance that they may have to cancel membership due to any number of reasons? The manager at Retro said to me she would waive 1 month.

BIG DEAL!

Beware Retro Fitness.They are scammers

66af97c
3.5
Had an experience with Retro Fitness?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
CAPTCHA
Disputed66

Jun 19

It's sad but all gyms are the same. I had this issue with a different gym, they continued to charge my credit card after I cancelled my account so I urge you all to TRY THIS: dispute the charge on your credit card!!
I disputed and added all the info they asked for, like that I had sent a certified letter, and the charge ended up being dropped. Your credit card company gives them a certain amount of days to defend their charge and luckily most places don't do it or don't realize they can and you win. Since you have the certified letter on your side, it's hard for them to rationalize more charges

ronaldmcdonaldgym

May 02

The worst gym ever.

Carina

Mar 14 Matawan, New Jersey

I'm having an issue. I went to the location of my gym after my year was up, and said I do not want to renew my membership and that I don't want automatic renewal either and they told me to write a letter. I can't afford this and it's written in fine print that you have to send in a letter 60 days in advance. This is a trap and it needs to be reported.

Riverdog

Feb 14

ABC Financial Services, Inc.
PO Box 6800
Sherwood, AR 72124
Fax number: 1-501-992-0802
Email address: customercare@abcfinancial.com
1-888-827-9262 ABC Financial Services, Inc. is the party responsible for this BS policy. Never use any gym that is serviced by them including the chains Retro Fitness and Gold's Gym.

eatme

Aug 28, 2013

Retro Fitness is a rip off.They were charging me $20.89 a month.Then I noticed that they were charging me $40.39 a month. When I called Retro the additional charge was a late fee because mycredit card wasn't excepting the charges on the 3rd of each month. Bull *** the credit card company blamed Retro for posting the payment after the 3rd. I called to cancel my membership they said they could only do it if I had a letter from my doctor.Plus I have to pay 2 months upfront before cancellation. That's rediculous, I was also recently charged an additional $41.79 for an annual fee. During their grand opening they had waved the fee for any news members that join. I plan to dig up my contract and fight them,this is false advertisement. I also plan to make acomplaint at the better business burea. THERE CROOKS.

Aug 05, 2013 Wilmington, Delaware

After canceling the membership with 1 month left to pay we got charged a renewal fee plus a card declined fee of $19.50 even though we will not being renewing for the year. STAY AWAY from these rip off people. The manager in Wilmington, De would not waive a fee.

Shadow

Apr 15, 2013 Ridgefield, New Jersey

This gym is nothing but a bunch of shady *** hats. Don't sign up to this gym, save your money, your time, and anguish.

Dan

May 30, 2012

To cancel a Retro Fitness gym membership, simply contact them via certified letter 60 DAYS IN ADVANCE at A.B.C. FINANCIAL SERVICES P.O. BOX 6800 SERWOOD ARKANSAS 72124. Include all pertinent information YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION, GYM MEMBERSHIP NUMBER and REASON FOR THE CANCELLATION.

Feb 19, 2013

I submitted a letter of cancellation to the manager who then said everything was ok and that my membership was cancelled. I even submitted a note from my doctor that specifically said that I was L4-L5 Fusion and C5-C6 Fusion and to cancel the membership. Today i received a credit reoport stating that I am in collection with retro fitness, but before this happen I was told that my account was confusing because i was in their system twice, one profile picture I am a white man and on the other account I am a dark man. I think is time to see a lawyer, they killing my credit

bellmom

Aug 11, 2013

Really? We're talking GYM cancelation. I mean even corporate America only requests a 2 week notice. Certified letter, 60 day notice. Do you realize how asinine this is and yet you further add insult to injury by requiring us to give a reason why we are leaving. My, my, my. What a load of BS :p

Bellmom

Apr 15, 2013 Sealy, Texas

Really, I have to give a reason why I want to cancel? DUH. I don't think so

bellmom

Aug 30, 2013

Dan doesn't want to reply anymore. lol

BE SMART

Dec 23, 2011

After the year is up, or 90 days prior until it is up, send them a letter canceling, as required by contract. Send it certified mail, then when the time comes, go to your bank, cancel your debit card, get a new one..and when they try to come after you for non-payment send them a copy of the contract and certified signature slip/letter.

Aug 11, 2013

John

Dec 08, 2011

They give you the same trouble AFTER the year membership has passed BOB. I was a member for a year and a half and found a better gym that offered much more than this hole in the wall and they still charged my credit card after TWO cancellation letters. They're thieves.

John

Dec 08, 2011

Bob

Oct 18, 2011

They do tell you when you sign up that its a year contract to get the lower price of on 19.99. Doesnt everybody understand what a year is. Why dont you just return that old coat your son doesnt wear anymore too

Showing 1-20 of 24 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Retro Fitness.
Filing a new complaint about
×